In my previous posts I discussed how to install different Android Froyo, Android Cyangamod and Android 3.0 Honeycomb. Today’s guide is about how to install Ubuntu Linux on Nook Color. I would highly recommend that you try running Ubuntu Linux on Nook Color as it will not make any changes on Nook Color internal memory. We will install Ubuntu Linux image on SD card and run it through SD card, while leaving the internal memory containing original Nook Color software of Android honeycomb or Android Cyangamod as it is.
Disclaimer: Please make sure before following any tips and content provided in www.Techquad.com that it is entirely at your own risk. Any damage to your device will not be the responsibility of www.Techquad.com.
- Rooted Nook Color
- Ubuntu Image for the Nook Color
- Android SDK installed on your system (See how to install ADB and Android SDK)
- NookColor Tools app installed on your device.
- Android VNC Viewer app 0.5.0 installed on your Nook Color for the Ubuntu GUI.
- SD card with external SD card reader.
- Download Ubuntu Image for Nook Color.
- Insert SD card into computer and copy the content of Ubuntu Image for Nook Color on SD card using WinRAR.
- Install Nook Color Tools app to unlock extra setting on your Nook Color. Now launch Nook Color Tools and uncheck the option for Automount on USB.
- Plugin USB cable into Nook Color and connect it to Computer via USB.
- Open Microsoft Windows command prompt and enter
- Wait for few seconds till serial number of Your Nook color appears on Screen and enter following commands,
- After ‘root@localhost:/#’ prompt appears, you need to enter following commands before accessing GUI and VNC. This to adjust the screen resolution of Ubuntu Linux while booting and create password for VNC.
apt-get install tighvncserver
apt-get install lxde
vncserver –geometry 1024×600
After entering given commands you will be asked to create password fro VNC which I would advice you to write somewhere as you will need it later.
- For Start up instructions of Ubuntu Linux you need to enter following commands.
cat > /root/.vnc/xstartup
xsetroot -solid grey
After entering the last command you need to press “Ctrl+D” two times.
- Now enter the commands given below to start Android VNC 0.5.0 sever automatically every time you will start Ubuntu Linux.
cat > front
rm -r -f tmp
vncserver -geometry 1024×600
Now again after entering the last command you need to press “Ctrl+D” two times.
- We are almost there, just few steps away. Now just enter commands given below.
cat front /root/.bashrc > temp
cp temp /root/.bashrc
- We are are done entering commands on computer. Now we will set up Android VNC 0.5.0 on Nook Color. Open Android VNC Viewer on Nook color and change settings as following.
Change Host Address. 127.0.01
In Password field enter same password which you created before.
Change Port to 5901.
- First click on “VE” and on “Connect” button.
- Now you should see Ubuntu booting.
- If you want to exit Ubuntu you can type “exit” in ADB.
You can also launch Ubuntu directly form Nook Color using any terminal emulator app. Just type “bootubuntu” and it will launch Ubuntu Linux.
Now enjoy Linux environment but please make sure that every time you exit Ubuntu, you do it using “exit” command.Even if terminal emulator app closes unexpectedly or crashes for any reason, relaunch it and properly exit Ubuntu using “exit” Command.
Only issue reported is that few times Nook Color will get stuck at the start up screen “Future of reading”. If that happens to you, you can remove SD card from Nook Color and reboot it. Everything should start normally. Now reinsert SD card and restart Nook Color, now Ubuntu Linux should load.
For any other issues or comments please refer to XDA Developers thread.